Our Kelowna Kinsmn club was founded in 1944, as Kin Canada began to spread across the country and grow rapidly as Canada’s newest service organization. Here is a link to the
National History of Kin Canada , originally founded in 1920 in Hamilton ON.
The Kelowna Kinsmen became a strong and influential contributor to the betterment of Kelowna by idnetifiying and “Serving the Commuities Greatest Needs”.
In the early days, we donated to the small log cabin that housed the local “Boy Scouts” (it is now part of the Kelowna Tennis Club’s facilities behind the Lions Mission Barn and Mission Fire Department).
Our club forefathers also donated “Kinsmen Beach” along Lakeshore Road (at Wardlaw Avenue).
Our club spearheaded the fundraising efforts to build the Parkinson Recreation Centre (buy a brick campaign) that funded Kelowna’s first indoor swimming pool in the 1970’s.
We doanted $30,000 to build the City Park bleachers by the old band shell).
The Rutland Kinsmen built the Rutland Kinsmen Youth Centre in the 1980’s (now housing the Boys & Girls Club).
The Kelowna club bulit the Kelowna Kinsmen Fieldhouse, Kin Kid’s Playground and the well used Kinsmen Softball Complex in the Mission Sports Fields, and was a Foudning Patron of the Mission Creek Greenway.
We also contributed to the consruction of tressle #11 in Myra Canyon and many local youth camp facilities in the Okanagan. These are just some of the tanigble donations we have contributed to the betterment of our communities, all while having fun, making (lifelong) friends and growing our personal skillset.